With all the media hype around 3D printing over the past couple of years there is no way of escaping the wonders of this old yet new and emerging technology. It’s not new because it’s been around for more than 30 years, but it has become more affordable and more accessible in recent years thanks the Open Source movement, the crowd-funding revolution, and lots of clever geeks.
This presentation gives you a flavour of what the technology is all about, how it works, where it’s being used, why it might be the next big thing and what the future might look like. (Click the icon bottom right to view it in full screen)
Table of contents:
- What is 3D printing?
- How does it work?
- Type of 3D printers
- Source materials
- 3D modelling
- Model libraries and online design apps
- Why use 3D printing? Key advantages
- Where is it being used?
- Why now?
- Gartner hype cycle
- Roger’s diffusion of innovations
- Will it make money?
- Is 3D printing the new manufacturing revolution or evolution for the digital age?
- Changing the face of 3D printing
- Shaping the future – What if…